Good evening and welcome to my third blog post and video of the weekend! Sometimes I go through crafty lulls and then get super re-energized and have cardmaking marathons! Last week was really busy and I wasn't able to spend much quality time with my stamps but this weekend hubby left for a work trip and I just holed up and created! I mean, I miss the hubs but I'm not gonna complain about all the alone time in my craft room . . .
Today I was inspired by the Monday Challenge over at Simon Says Stamp. This week it is No Ordinary Paper and it is all about using different types of paper that you don't normally work with. So I decided to step WAY out of my comfort zone and attempt a mixed media piece with some tissue paper and book pages. I even took it one step further and put all this on a canvas rather than a card.
I love the look of mixed media pieces but have never been brave enough to try it myself so this was my first real venture into those waters. I used supplies from the Simon Says Stamp July Card Kit and went with a nautical theme. Since I don't have a lot of the mediums that are best for this type of product(like gesso) I just made due with what I had lying around. All in all, I think it turned out pretty well for a first attempt! Thanks, Simon, for helping me push my boundaries and craft outside the box!
For a full list of the supplies I used and a video tutorial of this project, see below. I hope you enjoyed my mixed media experiment and I'll see you again soon!
- Simon Says Stamp Sailing Stamp set
- Simon Says Stamp Sailboat die
- Tissue paper in aqua and gold
- Book page from Simon Says Stamp February 2015 Card Kit
- Distress Ink in Stormy Sky, Mermaid Lagoon, and Chipped Sapphire
- Ranger Perfect Pearls
- Heidi Swapp Confetti Stencil
- Heidi Swapp Tinsel Color Shine Spray
- Liquitex Matte Gel
- Recollections Gold Detail Embossing Powder
- VersaMark Ink
- Tsukineko Brilliance Galaxy Gold Pigment Ink
- Art-Co Silver Embossing Paste