Happy hump day! I want to share a really fun and easy background technique that I learned from watching the Quick Tip videos over at the Unity Stamp Co. Facebook page and the Close to My Heart Stamp of the Month for September is perfect for this! This stamp set, called Paper Gardens, features all of these amazing large, solid floral silhouettes and I can't wait to experiment with different ways to use them.
For this card I combined one of the florals from Paper Gardens with a Close to My Heart sentiment and then just inked right over the top. It did take me a few tries to get an impression I was happy with when using these brand new, super solid stamps. After several tries I ended up using my StazOn ink and going with a less than solid image. If you have a stamp positioning tool such as the MISTI that would be a great way to get a really solid impression with these stamps. The distressed look went with my card theme so in the end I didn't mind a few missing areas.
For the background of this card I used this video by Angela Magnuson over at Unity Stamp Co. and this video by Angeline Choo as my inspiration. It is a simple masking technique that you could do with any inks on any type of cardstock or surface. Simply tape off your paper in striped segments, allowing them to overlap ever so slightly to avoid white space, and add color. I like to use several different colors and apply them in no particular order for a more organic look.
Once that was done I distressed the edges and added some ribbon and this project was complete! For a full list of the supplies I used, just keep scrolling. You can watch a tutorial on my YouTube channel or click on the video above. Don't forget to visit my Close to My Heart website so you can see all of the fabulous new releases that just came out on September 1st and pick up your Paper Gardens stamp set, only available this month! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed this technique! Bye!
*Affiliate links used when available
- Close to My Heart Paper Gardens My Acrylix Stamp Set
- Close to My Heart My Happy My Acrylix stamp set (retired)
- Close to My Heart Cranberry Exclusive Inks ink pad
- Close to My Heart Goldrush Exclusive Inks ink pad
- Close to My Heart Juniper Exclusive Inks ink pad
- Close to My Heart Pear Exclusive Inks ink pad
- Close to My Heart Desert Sand Exclusive Inks ink pad
- Close to My Heart Chocolate Exclusive Inks ink pad
- Close to My Heart Archival Black Exclusive Inks ink pad
- StazOn black ink
- VersaMark ink
- Simon Says Stamp clear embossing powder
- Neenah Exact Index, 110 lb, 8.5 x 11 Inches, 250 Sheets, White, 94 Brightnes*
- Kraft Cardstock
- Fiskars Easy Stamp Press-9""X11"" *
- Ranger Multi Medium Bottle, 0.5-Ounce, Matte*
- Scotch CAT 085 Advanced Tape Glider with 2 Rolls of 1/4-Inch by 36-Yard Acid Free Tape,Cure Pink*
- 3M Scotch 1/2-Inch by 36-Yard Double-Sided Foam Tape*
- Brown Ribbon
- Martha Stewart Crafts 12-Inch Simple Paper Trimmer*